Training Buses

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
AdamH

Training Buses

Post by AdamH » 15:39 Friday 20th April 2018

MattW, I've put your name forward for this! :lol:
Attachments
trainingbus.png

bmmoboy

Re: Training Buses

Post by bmmoboy » 20:07 Friday 20th April 2018

Adam - we've put yours and James's face forward. Mind you, if we used Mick Cullen, it would double up as the Santa Bus!!

MattW

Post by MattW » 20:26 Friday 20th April 2018

Christ.
I'm not sure I'm quite the right person for that - mind you I wasn't the right person for the job!

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 09:20 Saturday 21st April 2018

If the company is looking to recruit trainee and qualified drivers it might be prudent in the interests of employment equality to put two people on the revamped training vehicles - a female and a male. If they are both young this could attract students freshly qualified from college or university into the bus industry; what better way than starting with first hand experience as a bus driver then progressing into management, or even starting as trainee managers and progressing into bus driving? Either way it is a tough job but not without its rewards.

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 21:38 Saturday 21st April 2018

Can't remember if it has been mentioned on here before, so apologises if I am repeating old news...

Someone in First has decided that in future all training buses should be double-deck so that new starters get used to driving the type and hopefully we can avoid a repeat of recent low-bridge accidents that have happened elsewhere in the group.

However, before DD12 gets all excited at the idea of having two old double-decks at Worcester as training buses, I must add that Worcester has been granted special dispensation due to the low bridges near to the depot.

Leicester have recently had two new training bus conversion which are now surplus to requirements as they have to convert to double-deck, so rather than scrap them and write-off the investment, they are being sent to Worcester. :)

Hence the refresh mentioned in the notice.

I would also like to add my opinion on the new rule... Unless we have acquired a fleet of long wheelbase "Jumbo" Fleetlines to use for training, the new training buses will be shorted than most single-decks. This means new starters will have no experience of driving full size buses before they are let loose on the roads!

DD12

Post by DD12 » 22:40 Saturday 21st April 2018

I would say giving Worcester THAT dispensation defeats the whole purpose of changing the training buses to Double Deckers !!

IE: Worcester is inundated with low trees and low bridges -- therefore "learn it from the start" (I say !)
Adam ! - I will accept one single-deck and one Double-Deck training bus only ! :D

P.S : - Are drivers still smashing the upper deck front windscreens of StreetDecks in Avenue Road, Malvern ?

willr7

Post by willr7 » 22:22 Sunday 22nd April 2018

Here is one of the refreshed training buses from Leicester... I think it looks great!
Attachments
36921596861_001f9c9d55_b.jpg

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 09:59 Friday 4th May 2018

Change of plan. Worcester is not getting the Leicester buses now, and instead one of the Worcester buses has gone to Potteries to be repainted.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 12:32 Friday 4th May 2018

AdamH wrote:
09:59 Friday 4th May 2018
Change of plan. Worcester is not getting the Leicester buses now, and instead one of the Worcester buses has gone to Potteries to be repainted.
That's good, it will be nice to see one of these "quite old" buses getting a repaint, -- I don't like the "chevrons" on the front of the Leicester examples though :roll:

"Urgent Message " -- Adam -- can you email the MD please, asking him to make 33043 the second training bus, and replace it with a 74 seater ......
(no expletives, please !) :lol:

DD12

Post by DD12 » 12:58 Friday 4th May 2018

Sorry to be a pain, but 33043 could also be used as a route-survey vehicle, for checking clearances under tree-branches, etc.
It could be fitted with large hazard-warning lights at the rear, and maybe an electronic message board -- "SURVEYING" ; " LEARNER DRIVER", etc

..... and it could be lent to Leicester and Potteries !

Sorry everyone, - I'll TRY to sut-up now ! :oops:

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”