Low Passenger Satisfaction in Worcestershire

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
chason

Low Passenger Satisfaction in Worcestershire

Post by chason » 08:59 Wednesday 18th April 2018

The May edition of Buses reveals the results of a Transport Focus passenger survey which shows satisfaction in Worcestershire is the lowest in England with the county being bottom for journey satisfaction and punctuality and second bottom (after Essex) on value for money.

It breaks it down by operator with Diamond worst for on bus journey time and overall satisfaction and First Worcester for punctuality, with Diamond having a dis-satisfaction rating for punctuality of 26% and First 30%. Diamond scores low for value for money but, interestingly, the report says it's kept off the bottom for overall satisfaction by a very low score for the Stagecoach East's Cambridgeshire Busway services, an operation which has cost millions of pounds.

Such surveys have to be taken with a pinch of salt and I am sure those who came out well will reflect in the glory and those who have done less well will claim the results are flawed for various reasons and may well use the evidence from two similar surveys in Scotland also reported on. These were by two different organisations, admittedly asking different questions, but coming up with different conclusions.

To come back to Worcestershire, the low punctuality rating is hardly surprising because of the County Council's failure to tackle the ever worsening traffic problems and even when they do attempt to, often seem to make them worse.

DD12

Re: Low Passenger Satisfaction in Worcestershire

Post by DD12 » 15:21 Wednesday 18th April 2018

Thanks very much chason, for posting that info !

Regarding FMR's punctuality,
I think the "bottom-line" for Worcester's main bus operator is - -
- Has the number of passenger journeys undertaken (on the WR operation) been declining in most of the recent years ?? - - I'd love to see the factual figures if they are properly representative, and not manipulated !

I think Worcester's congestion WILL continue to worsen because of all the new housing due, and the effect on our bus company + services will worsen
- - unless all the relevant politicians "break the mould" and change the planning laws etc.
For example -- an Act of Parliament for Worcester, so that we can dig ourselves out of this pit !

The first step likely for Worcester will be the enforcement of the new Clean Air Zone legislation, but with congestion already so bad in places, if restrictions are introduced preventing use of certain roads at certain times, then it's likely to move the jams "further down the road" possibly causing gridlock - - and therefore needing further (unpopular) measures !!

Maybe eventually we will have a modernised version of Park+Ride from/to North/South/East/ and West including driverless midi-buses ?? -
- if FIRST or it's successor can wait long enough, they could reap the reward (£££).
MAYBE :D

MattW

Post by MattW » 17:37 Wednesday 18th April 2018

No surprise to see Diamond there to be honest :lol:
I'll have to read the article (and I guess the questions and answers have to be taken in context), but it's a shame for the staff who work hard to do their best in trying circumstances.

chason

Post by chason » 19:16 Wednesday 18th April 2018

I agree, Matt. The article, certainly about the Worcestershire situation, doesn't say much more than I have mentioned but probably worth reading the full report on the Transport Focus website.

MattW

Post by MattW » 20:26 Wednesday 18th April 2018

:)
Hopefully it'll give me a fuller picture!

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”