(First) "Midland Red returns to Cheltenham" ......

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
DD12

(First) "Midland Red returns to Cheltenham" ......

Post by DD12 » 22:54 Wednesday 4th April 2018

..... And Leominster, Hereford, Ledbury, and Tewkesbury !! --

- most pleasing to this enthusiast from the Midland Red era, when the company had a far-flung empire of services.

These different destinations, via different villages, on different days of the week, is a very long-established tradition that seemed to me to be dying-out,
so it's very pleasing that First Midland Red is rejuvenating it ( - along with Herefordshire £, and participation).

Also, "must not forget" the X99 Hay on Wye special, which seems to me to be the modern-day equivalent of the bank holiday specials run by Midland Red.

And, all the above now operated by my local WR depot -- Great !

"Go - On, Mr.Eggleton, -- add Worcester to Ludlow -- once a month say, (-scenic route via Eardiston; double decker compulsory !! ) --
Go - On; Go - On; Go - On !! "

Regarding the new 481, I would be very pleased if I found-out that Gloucestershire CC were paying a small subsidy towards it -- after-all, Twyning has got new housing, so the developers should be paying "transport money" to them (?)

Since my "dismay", in the last 6 months or so, at an apparent total loss of buses for Twyning village, I have (just) discovered that they DO have a demand-responsive "shoppers" minibus service to Tewkesbury (don't know if it's new), so if no-one gets on the 481 there, at least the passengers already onboard will, have a nice village view !

Regarding the long "layover" in Cheltenham, Adam, are drivers allowed to have "a long snooze" in the back of the bus ?

- it's a good job I'm not a bus driver, and on that service, because I would spend the entire layover in Yates's Wine Lodge :)

(I can feel a single-decker bus tour "coming-on").

AdamH

Re: (First) "Midland Red returns to Cheltenham" ......

Post by AdamH » 07:36 Thursday 5th April 2018

Yes, Gloucestershire C.C. are making a small contribution for the Twyning section of the route. It is my understanding that it was an approach from them to First, combined with poor passenger numbers on the 672, that inspired the route.

It should be noted that Service 405 was originally only on a 1-year contract and due for the axe. This was based on passenger numbers provided by the previous operator which were clearly understated. In reality that route is carrying 20-25 passengers into Hereford each Wednesday so the route is now saved, and will get a larger bus from May. (I used a Dart yesterday and it was very welcome). The new Monday route will not be funded by Herefordshire and the bus/driver has been released from the contract during that time slot to run the route. This could have given the Council the savings originally planned by cutting the 405, but instead that money is being put towards the extra 671/2/3 journeys on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Passenger numbers on the 672 are currently slightly better on a Monday than on a Tuesday, so logic would say run the 481 on Tuesdays, but Tuesday is Market Day in Ledbury so that idea was vetoed by the Council. Monday it is then!

We already get long breaks in Hereford and Leominter. Drivers are free to do as they please and are trusted to behave appropriately!

Adam V

Post by Adam V » 14:40 Monday 9th April 2018

I was thinking how long ago was it since First have been in Cheltenham. Was it when they had the 540 / 545 routes from Evesham to Tewkesbury with the odd 540 continuing on to Fheltenham. Early 2000's possibly?

bmmoboy

Post by bmmoboy » 12:06 Tuesday 10th April 2018

Where is "Fheltenham"

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 13:21 Tuesday 10th April 2018

I think the last time Worcester depot ran to Cheltenham was the 377/381 route from Malvern in 1991. I have seen photos of Evesham depot working the 540 to Cheltenham with an Enviro300 so that would be around the 2005 mark. Were they still running the full route in 2006 when the depot closed?

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 13:26 Tuesday 10th April 2018

To partly answer my own question, I have found a running card from Evesham depot dated 13th March 2006 which runs a Service 540 departing Evesham at 1230 to Cheltenham, return journey is 1350 from "Royal Well" :lol:

Adam V

Post by Adam V » 18:46 Tuesday 10th April 2018

I remember using the 540 to Cheltenham with a Enviro on it. Apologies for the misspelling of Cheltenham in previous post. Was typing on a mobile whilst walking along!

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 20:29 Monday 14th May 2018

I'm pleased to report that the first running of the 481 service today carried 16 passengers in to Cheltenham.

Proof that advertising works, I would say.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 00:13 Tuesday 15th May 2018

AdamH wrote:
20:29 Monday 14th May 2018
I'm pleased to report that the first running of the 481 service today carried 16 passengers in to Cheltenham.

Proof that advertising works, I would say.
What did the advertising consist of please, Adam ?

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 10:46 Tuesday 15th May 2018

DD12 wrote:
00:13 Tuesday 15th May 2018
What did the advertising consist of please, Adam ?
It was shown in both the Malvern area and Upton area timetables, which have been in circulation for several weeks now. Almost all of the passengers boarded the bus in those areas, with only two from Ledbury. The new Ledbury area (Village Links) timetable has a only been in circulation for a few days, so people haven’t had a chance to see it yet.

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”