Worcester's DD usage.

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
DD12

Re: Worcester's DD usage.

Post by DD12 » 18:39 Thursday 20th September 2018

I haven't yet finished doing my survey of WR's revised DD usage (from the 17th), but so far I have seen that the (AM) S4 has been a green Volvo single-decker (with standees) instead of a DD. - I hope BEO school are "ok" with this !

There have been no DDs at the depot at the same time, so I'm wondering where the displaced DD is being used in the morning (?) -- -- I have yet to check the (AM) S23, which was previously up-to two single-deckers.
Also, I have yet to check the bus station circa 08.15 to see if one is parked-up ready for breakdown cover (etc).

During the Monday morning peak, all four StreetDecks were on the Malvern/ Worcester services, - two to Malvern, and two to Worcester (The 44S TO Worcester was incorrectly showing S44 :lol: ).

There have been extra DD workings on my local 32, including early evenings, which I "strongly approve of", but I wonder how much more poor old 33043 will be able to take, as it's on there for nearly 12 hours a day !!

DD12

Post by DD12 » 16:50 Thursday 25th October 2018

As the AM S4 has recently become a single-decker ("overloaded"), and, as Adam has recently told us there is a "desperate" shortage of DDs at WR,
I feel the need to post the following :-

The 8 older DDs are needed in the AMs, (Mon-Fri, school-term), as follows :-

D1 - X50
D2 - S45
D3 - 365
D4 - S2
D5 - 32S
D6 - S1
D7 - S3
D8 - - - WAS S4 -- -- When all 8 older DDs have been in use recently, I have
not spotted a current, regular working for this displaced DD.
The S3+S4 will be modified from November 5th, and my guess is that
the eighth old D will return to the S4 (?)

The above 8 workings use the older DDs when they are available, and the only "spares" I have seen them use, in the past 3 years, have been StreetDecks taken off the Malvern services, - rather than spare single-deckers (which, with standees can legally carry around 70 people).

During the past 3 years, when I have known of a shortage of DDs, I have made (just a few) checks of which (if any) specific Malvern workings actually need a DD during the AM peak, but I've only ever SEEN a daily variation ( IE - StreetDeck on day 1, single-decker on day 2), -- and the October 2017 bus graph did not shed any light on this --

- this may no longer be the case, and at a future opportunity I MIGHT "look again", but I HOPE that WR / FMR will get one or two EXTRA DDs ( - the previous peak was 14 of them).

ALSO, I would like us to get up to three (Euro 6) DDs, for the Salt Road/ S1 + S2, and for the X50 --
and that would fit-in nicely with the fact that our three oldest DDs will need replacing soon(ish).

DD12

Post by DD12 » 16:04 Saturday 27th October 2018

It's half-term week just about to start, so I expect to see plenty of DDs turning-up on the 30, 32, and 144A, but if anyone sees a DD on the X50 or 417, please give me a SHOUT !

(The 417 won't be able to serve Cradley next Monday to Thursday, so you "never know", but what with inter-workings, and no need for DDs, it's unlikely).

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 16:20 Saturday 27th October 2018

No need on the 417 as most of the Seasonal Workers have gone home for the winter. I ran the morning 418 today (it’s last day) and only carried 3 people.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 17:25 Saturday 27th October 2018

AdamH wrote:
16:20 Saturday 27th October 2018
No need on the 417 as most of the Seasonal Workers have gone home for the winter. I ran the morning 418 today (it’s last day) and only carried 3 people.
That' a shame; - thanks Adam.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 10:37 Tuesday 6th November 2018

I was very pleased, this morning, to see the return to the S4 of double-decker operation ( - when there are enough of them, at least).

- Does anyone know what was used on the S45 this morning, please ?
- bmmoboy ? :)

bmmoboy

Post by bmmoboy » 22:05 Tuesday 6th November 2018

I'm afraid I don't know - I was on the S3 with 33405

DD12

Post by DD12 » 23:44 Tuesday 6th November 2018

bmmoboy wrote:
22:05 Tuesday 6th November 2018
I'm afraid I don't know - I was on the S3 with 33405
Thanks anyway !

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 20:46 Wednesday 7th November 2018

Routes and times for the S3 and S4 services to Blessed Edwards School have changed to try and even out the loadings. The S4 now starts in Fernhill Heath to take the pressure off the S2, and the S3 now runs via Millwood Drive to replace that part of the old S4 route.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 23:02 Friday 9th November 2018

AdamH wrote:
20:46 Wednesday 7th November 2018
Routes and times for the S3 and S4 services to Blessed Edwards School have changed to try and even out the loadings. The S4 now starts in Fernhill Heath to take the pressure off the S2, and the S3 now runs via Millwood Drive to replace that part of the old S4 route.
Thanks for that info. Adam.

Linking into Adam's comment elsewhere about the S45, I can now confirm that it was operated by a single-decker this morning.
- These have been adequate in some past years, and this could "justify" the coming withdrawal of 33043 ......

- although, I'd be surprised if WR has enough spare DDs --
I think it could be "all too easy" to suddenly have four DDs out of action.

I don't (yet) know how many of the four StreetDecks are actually NEEDED for the revised Malvern services (AM), and how many can actually be borrowed and swopped for up to four spare single-deckers.

Returning to the subject of the S45, I was very pleased this morning to see that the bus still goes onto the 144 Bromsgrove to Worcester afterwards, - but of course, that won't be possible if the S45 is converted to coach operation ( - a POSSIBILITY mentioned by Adam).

Another concern is that as "student" numbers vary a lot on some services from year to year (IE - school year), - come next September, a DD will be needed again, and FMR won't have one available, - but Johnsons, Astons, and Green Bus will !!

Howevever there is also the possibilty that the school /college or LEA is actually asking for, or "demanding" a seat-belted coach (?)

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”