The 382 - Public meeting

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
AdamH

Re: The 382 - Public meeting

Post by AdamH » 09:37 Friday 14th October 2016

MattW wrote:
23:14 Thursday 13th October 2016
...USE IT OR LOSE IT, and while you're at it pay for it too because your taxes certainly don't...
One of the other speakers, I can't remember who, used the phrase "Use it or lose it" and it was greeted with laughter from some, almost as if they believe it was being used as an idle threat.

The First MD mentioned that transport campaign groups in other parts of the country have started paying normal fares when using the services they want to save. He summarised by saying "you don't have to always show your pass" and that got the biggest laugh of the night!

bmmoboy

Post by bmmoboy » 14:04 Friday 14th October 2016

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned on the forum, but the Malferna service, which was run by the County Council to replace the services from Upton to Malvern has ceased. This was run by the Council to see if there was any demand, but after six months, there obviously wasn't. I can only remember seeing at most 2 people on any of the services, and I'm afraid that the 382 is in the same boat, with not enough people using it to make it anywhere near viable.

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 14:34 Friday 14th October 2016

Yes, I think someone mentioned it in passing and I was able to confirm it was true but forgot to post it up. Since the withdrawal was announced I have started to see a few people waiting for it, but that is clearly a case of too little too late.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 15:24 Friday 14th October 2016

Thanks for your interesting reports above, sockin and Adam.

I'm a bit "troubled" by the lack of usage of the 382 by Ecky and Norton people, that has led to this minimum service -
especially on Saturdays.

Have 95% of the households along this route got at least one car -
- and are "they" always driving their family members and friends, to and from Worcester ??
I don't understand :?

(PS:- I like the idea of First running SOMETHING-LIKE the 563; SAY connecting Tewkesbury, Ashchurch rail station, Ecky, Pershore rail station, Norton Parkway, and Worcester, and connections for Upton.
- IF something along those lines was feasible, it would need a subsidy, and of course, no-one would use it !)

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 16:49 Friday 14th October 2016

DD12 wrote:
15:24 Friday 14th October 2016
...it would need a subsidy...
In that case, forget it! It was reported last night the amount of money the Government has to spend on buses has dropped from £100m two years ago to £37m for this year. That drop in budget has been felt very much by the local authorities.

MattW

Post by MattW » 23:42 Friday 14th October 2016

I hadn't noticed that the Malferna had stopped.
Mind you I'm either at work or in Buxton these days so village life passes me by a bit!

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 06:27 Saturday 15th October 2016

AdamH wrote:
16:49 Friday 14th October 2016
DD12 wrote:
15:24 Friday 14th October 2016
...it would need a subsidy...
In that case, forget it! It was reported last night the amount of money the Government has to spend on buses has dropped from £100m two years ago to £37m for this year. That drop in budget has been felt very much by the local authorities.
I have been reading this topic with a deepening sense of dismay. On the one hand as often as not I see two buses running together with very few passengers on board on the mega-frequent daytime 144 and 44 based routes then we hear that the 382 will not be running on Saturday at all. We now have a Managing Director urging pass holders not to use them and pay the going rate to sustain unprofitable services whilst the County Council cheerfully withdraw the subsidies from poorly used but essential rural services. Wow that is progress!

I get the impression from all the comments made on this site that most, if not all of our contributors are car owners and are not disabled, old or infirm having to rely solely on a diminishing bus service which is constantly under threat of withdrawal. Frankly, it is frustrating enough living in a big city like Worcester when one of the half-hourly buses runs 20 minutes late or just doesn't turn up; what it must be like living in the sticks without a car and having to rely on a rudimentary sparse service to get to work or go shopping beggars belief! No wonder that villagers all own cars and youngsters take a driving test as soon as they are old enough, no wonder too, that one time farming community villages are becoming the exclusive preserve of the very well heeled.

Shame on all Council tax payers for their 'I'm alright Jack' attitude, surely it would be beneficial for the majority of pensioner pass-holders to help out the worse-off few by paying a nominal ticket fare of say 50p or 75p single,
I realise that real life doesn't work this way but it might be a way of reducing the amount the Council pay the bus operator and using the money to subsidise 'life-line' rural services. Think of this; if it was all about making money we just wouldn't have an NHS would we; it is an essential service. I don't like paying taxes, but perhaps there is a need to increase them by a small amount to provide for areas of greatest need at the same time finding ways of making our service industries more efficient.

Perhaps you all think that the level of service is too good anyway and that the market should find its own level and damn the consequences?

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 07:33 Saturday 15th October 2016

If the bus service was being used I could be the first in line to fight to save it. If you cast your mind back 18-months when it was totally withdrawn by Astons I was pestering First to take it on.

However, it is not being used, not even a little bit. Bus compaines are not charities and if they are loosing thousands of pounds on services like 382 it will impact on everyone else.

There are options for the few people who don't own cars and they were talked about at great length at the meeting. For example there was a group there that is charity funded and will take anyone by car to the hospital in Worcester, not just those with an appointment but for visiting hours too. Door to door at a time of your choice.

And as the link in this thread showed, central government is provinding money for schemes that are better suited to the needs of people who may only want a bus ones a week or less.

I know that is not an ideal solution, but these people have not been forgotten.

MattW

Post by MattW » 22:20 Saturday 15th October 2016

MattW wrote:
23:42 Friday 14th October 2016
I hadn't noticed that the Malferna had stopped.
I saw one today heading past the Three Counties Showground at about 1700 :?:

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 08:20 Sunday 16th October 2016

I was under the impression they were due to stop when the school holidays start, so if that is correct they still have a few more days to run. I may be wrong.

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”