The 382 - Public meeting

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
sockin-1975

Re: The 382 - Public meeting

Post by sockin-1975 » 21:14 Wednesday 12th October 2016

Maybe a re-introduction of the old Midland Red route 563 is a solution. For those who don't not remember.
Worcester-Pershore-Eckington-Bredon-Ashchurch-Tewkesbury.
This could provide a link to the west coast mainline, as it could go into Ashchurch Railway Station.

Michael

Post by Michael » 12:06 Thursday 13th October 2016

Maybe the community could run their own bus service??

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/2-mi ... -minibuses

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 14:45 Thursday 13th October 2016

Michael wrote:
12:06 Thursday 13th October 2016
This is just the type of thing the fund is set up for, so why not?

Is anyone here going to the meeting tonight? I'm still undecided... I need a date!

DD12

Post by DD12 » 19:14 Thursday 13th October 2016

Michael wrote:
12:06 Thursday 13th October 2016

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/2-mi ... -minibuses
Thanks very much Michael for providing that link.

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 21:33 Thursday 13th October 2016

OK, so I went to the meeting...

The tone was set before the meeting started when I got talking to the people around me and found that none of them really ever use the bus, but they all want it there in case they ever need it. One woman sometimes catches the Sunday Stagecoach bus to Stratford for a day out, but she doesn't do that so much now because the bus home leaves 25-minutes after the shops close so there isn't much to do in that time.

The Stagecoach MD turned up 15-minutes late so stood at the back and didn't say anything, other than to introduce himself at the end and say he agreed with everything the First MD had said.

The First MD said that he has been in negotiations with the Norton parish council and has agreed to run a short lunchtime 382 as far as Littleworth on Wednesdays and Fridays only as an experiment to see if there is a demand. He also said it was his belief from seeing the figures that there was not a demand and as a driver, I agree with him.

There was a lengthy speech about how the train service has improved over the years and a representative from First Great Western assured people this would continue, but it was clear most people there were interested in the buses and the recent cuts.

The biggest complaints came regarding the cutting back of the 551 to Upper/Lower Moor. There was a lot of anger directed towards the X50 as they see that as taking away the passengers from the 551 which resulted in the cut. Well yes! The First MD made it clear that passenger numbers on the X50 are higher than they ever were on the 551 and are still rising, so the idea of axing the X50 and putting back the 551 is a non-starter.

Interestingly, there was no mention at all about the Service 560 put on by the council to provide a replacement bus in Fladbury etc. I'm wondering if these people even know it runs?

There was a lot of flack from the people of Eckington about not being told there were changes to the timetable. I think this was a little unfair as I personally told all the regular passengers several weeks in advance... Maybe if these people actually used the bus they would know these things!

There was also a lot of talk from the Council representative about community bus scheme and volunteer driver schemes.

In general, it seems that everyone still thinks all buses are totally funded by the government and they are all entitled to free travel on a bus that stops outside their house at whatever time they want it to.

I think the First MD came across very well. There were a few there who were quite hostile towards him, but when I spoke to him in private afterwards he said this was a nice crowd compared with other meetings he has been to!

sockin-1975

Post by sockin-1975 » 21:57 Thursday 13th October 2016

I would agree that the First MD took a fair bit of flack but handled it really proffessionally.
There is nothing stopping villagers making their own publicity material to get people interested in travelling on the bus.
After you went there was one old dear who went into tears.
Its all well and good people complaining, but they cant come up with solutions to what they are moaning about , why even bother wingeing.
After you went also the stagecoach MD did speak , about real time info , timetabling etc.. nothing to differ from what your MD was saying. I personally don't think they have designs on encroaching more into First territory, after hearing that there is no passengers to carry

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 22:14 Thursday 13th October 2016

I think it was rather odd that they invited Stagecoach at all when you concider how far away they are and the fact that it was local transport issues being talked about. If they were looking for a direct link to Birmingham, Gloucester or Coventry etc, then yes, talk to Stagecoach, but the dead mileage costs for them to run a local service in or around Pershore would be off the chart.

Did Astons Coaches have anything to say after I left? I noticed nobody said a word about them dumping the whole service, yet First made an effort to try and save it and got a kicking for dropping the off-peak journeys. If First had not stepped in last year there wouldn't be any bus at all running now!

sockin-1975

Post by sockin-1975 » 22:24 Thursday 13th October 2016

No, although I would'nt know who to spot from Astons.

I felt I was the youngest person in the room. All this talk of community transport drove me doo-lally

What was the talk on Astons retaking the Saturday run ( or was I mis-hearing something )

MattW

Post by MattW » 23:14 Thursday 13th October 2016

AdamH wrote:
21:33 Thursday 13th October 2016

In general, it seems that everyone still thinks all buses are totally funded by the government and they are all entitled to free travel on a bus that stops outside their house at whatever time they want it to.

Comment of the century.
We all know the general public are thick, but anything people say in relation to buses seems to prove it.
USE IT OR LOSE IT, and while you're at it pay for it too because your taxes certainly don't, they're too busy lining the pockets of consultants or paying for heated bum-massaging seats in the house of commons (or something). :evil:

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 08:51 Friday 14th October 2016

sockin-1975 wrote:
22:24 Thursday 13th October 2016
No, although I would'nt know who to spot from Astons.

I felt I was the youngest person in the room. All this talk of community transport drove me doo-lally

What was the talk on Astons retaking the Saturday run ( or was I mis-hearing something )
Oh, there was me thinking I was the youngest person there too!

Astons were introduced at the start but from where I was sat I couldn't see who he was pointing at. Yes, they did suggest Astons were thinking about running a Saturday service at the very begining but nothing more was said and I'd forgotten all about it by the end. The fact that nobody mentioned it again would suggest nobody is bothered about a Saturday service, which was clear when driving it as that was used even less than the week day service.

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”