The 382 - Public meeting

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
DD12

The 382 - Public meeting

Post by DD12 » 12:52 Tuesday 4th October 2016

On the Worcester News website today, is another article about the recent cut-backs ( - the 382 in particular).
There is to be a meeting at Pershore Town Hall on 13th October, which apparently will be attended by our MD, and an MD from STAGECOACH ! :o

AdamH

Re: The 382

Post by AdamH » 17:14 Tuesday 4th October 2016

Sounds like a good evenings entertainment, I may have to go along and have a look.

MattW

Post by MattW » 18:49 Tuesday 4th October 2016

AdamH wrote:
17:14 Tuesday 4th October 2016
Sounds like a good evenings entertainment, I may have to go along and have a look.
What are you going to do, chuck rotten fruit? :lol:

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 21:11 Tuesday 4th October 2016

MattW wrote:
18:49 Tuesday 4th October 2016
What are you going to do, chuck rotten fruit? :lol:
Well if Nigel gets some silly idea about getting us to run around in a bus that nobody uses I may be forced to bounce a tomato or two off his head :lol:

I ran a 382 today and even though their choice of bus has been reduced I still had only two people get off the bus and nobody get on between St. Peters and Birlingham. They weren't using the bus before the cuts and they still aren't using the bus now, so what is the point of running more?

MattW

Re: The 382 - Public meeting

Post by MattW » 18:17 Wednesday 5th October 2016

That is a fair point mate. If there is no demand you can't expect a private company to run a service.

sockin-1975

Post by sockin-1975 » 11:17 Sunday 9th October 2016

As a bus enthusiast , car driver and an Eckington resident I have mixed views on the topic.

I would agree that the Birlingham to St.Peters section is not viable , it never has been in the 30 years I have been using it, although Eckington always was.
Eckington residents had a bus that got them to Worcester city centre in 42 minutes, it now takes on most occasions over 1hr 15 minutes ( except the one bus in and out that take the old route ). Which in my case is the reason I have stopped using it. I can't deal with 2hrs 30 minutes for a return trip, and doubt many could.

The marketing has been poor to villagers about the the 551 that switches to a 382 in mid-morning which is more an issue with locals then First.
There is no issue was buses or drivers , as I think standards are so much better than previously.

First is trying to run a commercial service and make money , Eckington has 2500 residents ( in the main would shop or work in their nearest city ), and a service that takes 2hrs 30 mins out of their day.

Basically there IS a captive audience , but a service that doesn't meet the needs of that audience.

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 18:53 Sunday 9th October 2016

The Eckington to Pershore section of the route certainly carries more passengers and sometimes they continue to Worcester, although I have heard it said many times that they feel it takes too long. This is part of the reason the short journey linked to the 551 was added as it cuts the journey time down to 56 minutes. I have yet to drive that one so can't offer any feedback at the moment.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 14:23 Monday 10th October 2016

Interesting food for thought above, thanks sockin and Adam.

That is the sort of info that needs presenting at the meeting, and I think the county council may need to consider a short-term subsidy for:-

(a) extra buses serving Eckington, Pershore, NORTON PARKWAY (The site of), and London Road.
(b) extra buses serving (Littleworth+Wadborough) NORTON and Bath Road -
until all the new housing is built ( ...and the developers pay-up, as they will have-to, by law).
I think there probably needs to be a through road between the new housing between Norton and Kempsey (but I cannot find a detailed map of the proposed development, nor a relevant summary of the plans).

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 08:59 Tuesday 11th October 2016

I don't really think there is any call for any extra buses at the moment. Maybe one around lunch time for people going shopping etc, but before September they had one at 1205 and it was often empty, so there isn't a demand for it.

WR1st

Post by WR1st » 09:28 Tuesday 11th October 2016

I was speaking with one of the 382 regulars from Eckington recently and at the last village meeting concerning the 382 one of the councillors put forward the idea that every passenger that uses the 382 should club together to put money into a fund to purchase a bench to sit on and anyone local using a car travelling to Pershore should stop at the bench to offer a ride.

Your comments are appreciated :twisted:

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”