Major Service Cuts, May 2022 !!

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
Reddibus

Re: Major Service Cuts, May 2022 !!

Post by Reddibus » 11:23 Wednesday 20th April 2022

The national problem is that bus usage has on average only recovered at best to about 80% of pre-covid numbers. Since March 2020 all bus services have been heavily subsidised using funding from central government something they are now attempting to reduce. A deadline of 31st March was set for end of all extra funding. but it soon became apparent bus services would have just disappeared in many areas without the extra funding so government have back tracked and continued some funding until October. In addition payments for the English National Concessionary Scheme have been pegged at pre covid levels even though the passengers entitled to these passes are some of the very people who are no longer travelling as much . A some point these will also revert back payments based on to actual levels of travel. All bus operators are in a difficult situation of matching service levels to expected income.. All this in a background of many local authorities Worcestershire being a prime example who spend next to nothing generally om subsidising bus services as they have no legal obligation to do so and as their budgets are squeezed not subsidising bus services are an easy target

DD12

Post by DD12 » 14:46 Wednesday 20th April 2022

TimBrown wrote:
18:43 Wednesday 13th April 2022
DD12 wrote:
16:54 Wednesday 13th April 2022
https://www.firstbus.co.uk/worcestershi ... 1-may-2022

In addition to the end of Bromsgrove to Birmingham, are the withdrawal of the 31(A), 32S,
37, and 51( Evesham version ).
First say discussions are in place with WCC to provide some daytime services on the 31 and 37 though.

The 32 and 45 are cut-back to hourly during the day (on Mon-Fri).

:(
WHY when Government support of £150 million was extended until October 2022?
See attached link;
https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... l-services

Is there any good news out there?
https://www.route-one.net/news/brg-exte ... -networks/

Here is some more detailed info about what's going on !

(I shall try and "get my head around it" sometime !!)

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 20:11 Saturday 23rd April 2022

Adam V

Post by Adam V » 20:43 Saturday 23rd April 2022

A far cry from when the Citibus 21 to Green Lane ran at 'frequent intervals' (and the 21A to Cornmeadows). Was just having a look through a old 1991 MRW timetable book. Ahh.... Memories!!

bringstybeast

Post by bringstybeast » 08:16 Sunday 24th April 2022

At least on an hourly frequency it can be spaced out so it doesn’t follow the 303.

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 11:00 Sunday 24th April 2022

AdamH wrote:
20:11 Saturday 23rd April 2022
New Service 37 timetable...

https://www.firstbus.co.uk/uploads/upda ... /TT-37.pdf
Whilst the new timetable is better than nothing, thanks to Worcestershire County Council intervention, the population in Northwick / Bevere area won't have a First Bus into the City until 09-53 am (then only Monday to Friday, zilch on Saturday or Sunday) which effectively means the service will not survive beyond end of July 2022 unless another operator takes over as those trying to get into town early will use the 08-13 or 09-13 Diamond 303 and come back on a Diamond bus, or do as many already have, walk, use a bike or travel by car. THIS DOES NOTHING TO ATTRACT POTENTIAL PASSENGERS OUT OF THEIR CARS ON TO A FIRST BUS AND DOES THE EXACT OPPOSITE, RATHER LIKE SAYING "DON'T TRAVEL BY BUS THE SERVICE IS CRAP!" Frankly, the way things are going, without a change of emphasis, vastly improved marketing strategy and better fare deals, I cannot see First Bus lasting much longer in Worcester, the company has obviously been struggling for some time; we haven't had any new buses for nearly 7 years, been plagued with clapped-out dirty exhaust, uncomfortable cast-off, cascaded and ancient Citaros which are allegedly heavy on fuel. Then all of the Euro 6 batch of economical Streetlites were transferred to Leicester some time ago. What will happen to the Euro 6 Streetdecks now that the Malvern 44 services have been viciously chopped, not to mention the Euro 6 Volvo 'Salt Road' vehicles now that the 144 service is failing too I wonder? It cannot all be blamed on Covid19 either!

Adam V

Post by Adam V » 11:58 Sunday 24th April 2022

As a big supporter and user of bus travel in Worcester for nearly 40 years, I've finally given up and won't bother paying First's ridiculous fares anymore. I'm done with bus travel with First Worcester (I may use the LMS 24 now and again if convenient) but that's it. I now need to find a more cost effective and reliable way, which to be honest is to walk for me. So disappointed that I feel this way but I've had enough of Worcestershire County Council and First.
Granted, I accept the council have stepped in to save the 31 and 37 for now but regarding public transport, we are absolutely stone age in Worcestershire compared to other areas.

bmmoboy

Post by bmmoboy » 21:04 Monday 25th April 2022

As a driver, and I can vouch for my colleagues, we are embarrassed by some of the fares that we have to charge. Over the past few months, we have had drivers from Stoke and Leicester coming to help out at times of shortages, and they say that Worcester's fares are considerably higher that the garages the normally work for. Worcester needs someone with the courage to try and cut fares to encourage passengers otherwise I can see the depot firstly not operating any services on Sundays, followed by a phased rundown of operations leading to the closure of the depot.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 10:00 Tuesday 26th April 2022

https://www.route-one.net/news/bus-netw ... e-support/

More details have been announced of what the government is imposing on Local Transport Authorities and operators regarding the removal of support on October 4th.

(But it's a bit too complicated for my two remaining brain cells !!)

DD12

Post by DD12 » 16:19 Tuesday 26th April 2022

https://www.firstbus.co.uk/worcestershi ... 1-may-2022

NOW First are saying the 31 / 31A and the 37 will be every 30 mins during the day !! (The PDF at the bottom has not been updated though !!)

:!:

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”