Major Service Cuts, May 2022 !!

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
DD12

Major Service Cuts, May 2022 !!

Post by DD12 » 16:54 Wednesday 13th April 2022

https://www.firstbus.co.uk/worcestershi ... 1-may-2022

In addition to the end of Bromsgrove to Birmingham, are the withdrawal of the 31(A), 32S,
37, and 51( Evesham version ).
First say discussions are in place with WCC to provide some daytime services on the 31 and 37 though.

The 32 and 45 are cut-back to hourly during the day (on Mon-Fri).

:(

TimBrown

Re: Major Service Cuts, May 2022 !!

Post by TimBrown » 18:43 Wednesday 13th April 2022

DD12 wrote:
16:54 Wednesday 13th April 2022
https://www.firstbus.co.uk/worcestershi ... 1-may-2022

In addition to the end of Bromsgrove to Birmingham, are the withdrawal of the 31(A), 32S,
37, and 51( Evesham version ).
First say discussions are in place with WCC to provide some daytime services on the 31 and 37 though.

The 32 and 45 are cut-back to hourly during the day (on Mon-Fri).

:(
WHY when Government support of £150 million was extended until October 2022?
See attached link;
https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... l-services

Is there any good news out there?

MattW

Post by MattW » 17:38 Thursday 14th April 2022

Bloody hell.
I know it's five years since I stopped driving there, but thats pretty much decimated.
I guess you never know whether its an actual business decision, or scaling down to sell it all off cheap!

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 08:55 Friday 15th April 2022

MattW wrote:
17:38 Thursday 14th April 2022
Bloody hell.
I know it's five years since I stopped driving there, but thats pretty much decimated.
I guess you never know whether its an actual business decision, or scaling down to sell it all off cheap!
Possibly the latter. With the exception of the 4 Streetdecks and 6 Streetlites which are 6 years old, the fleet is mostly over 10 years of age, the Citaros between 14 and 20 years old, the Salt Road Volvos 13 years old, the Plaxton Centro Volvos 15 years old or thereabouts. Despite recent denials of a sell-off, the whole Padmore Street site was earmarked for redevelopment using £20 Government grant which allegedly hinges on a suitable new depot site in Worcester and all reported in local press circa June 2021.

Incidentally, I have sent e-mails concerning the severity of service cuts to my City and County Councillor and to Worcester MP Robin Walker, the more of YOU who are affected do likewise the greater the possibility of Government / Worcestershire County Council support for the ailing services and possible reinstatement of the withdrawn routes.
Wishful thinking perhaps but worth the effort!

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 10:47 Friday 15th April 2022

It seems that First Worcester (and the local authority) are trapped in a downwards spiral. Yes the last two years have been difficult for everyone on a scale not seen before, but elsewhere operators are working very hard with local authorities and with help from central government funding they are slowly rebuilding their bus networks.

Many areas outside of Worcestershire are still seeing cuts, but these seem to be on a smaller scale with a built-in possibility to reverse and rebuild at a later date if passenger numbers recover. However, some of the cuts that have been announced in Worcestershire look like they are final to me. Now that First have retreated from Birmingham they will never return. Ever. I also believe the loss of the early evening journeys to Malvern will cause lasting damage to the daytime service that will see a continued decline on that route. The continuing withdrawal of city routes will further devalue the day tickets and passes (that are already over priced) and this will have an impact on the surviving routes.

The reason? This is how I see it… Before the pandemic First Worcester cut back their network to the absolute minimum in an effort to maximise profit and minimise costs. Rather than invest those profits (which were healthy) in expanding the network and building for the future, the money has gone to prop up Group and service the huge debts run up by their failed overseas ventures. The unexpected downturn in passengers has left them with nowhere to turn. All the savings on marginal routes that could have been made to protect the core network have already been exhausted, so further cuts can only come from areas that are vital to the networks long-term survival.

In short, they have passed the point of no return. Unless Group are willing to invest heavily and quickly to ride out the storm and protect their Worcester cash cow it will soon be all gone. I don’t think Group are able or willing to do that.

Adam V

Post by Adam V » 12:51 Friday 15th April 2022

It really saddens me to say I have decided to totally give up with bus travel (by FIRST anyway in Worcestershire now. First ticket prices are a rip off considering the area and routes on offer. I will walk to town from now on or use the LMS 24 from Prestwich Ave if one is due when I go out. Luckily I do work in both Redditch and Kidderminster now so I can use Diamonds 303 and Johnsons 150A/B/C.

Now First's 45 is just going hourly, it's not as convenient now.

It's all so sad.

MattW

Post by MattW » 16:02 Friday 15th April 2022

You can still get a train from Worcester to Malvern up to about 11pm, West Midlands Trains at least must be happy to see this!

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 19:27 Friday 15th April 2022

Some of the cuts delayed by 3 months...

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/20 ... ouncement/

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 17:56 Tuesday 19th April 2022

I have a busy week dealing with the latest round of Stagecoach changes. The 63 and 64 service between Gloucester and Stroud is going from an hourly frequency to every 30-minutes, back to pre-Covid timetable, and the S6 between Oxford and Swindon is increased to every 15-minutes with additional night buses on a Friday.

So, the point of my post... If I'm rushed off my feet dealing with improved bus services, why is my opposite number in First dealing with drastic cuts? What is going wrong in Worcestershire and/or at First to cause them to still be making cuts when elsewhere bus use is (slowly) bouncing back?

bmmoboy

Post by bmmoboy » 18:04 Tuesday 19th April 2022

Incompetence.

The Phrase "piss up in a brewery" comes to mind.

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”