The End of Worcester to Birmingham 144 !!

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
DD12

The End of Worcester to Birmingham 144 !!

Post by DD12 » 15:48 Wednesday 6th April 2022

Someone on the wmbusphotos site has just posted that the 144 through to Birmingham is to finally end.
The transport for west midlands website -- changes -- confirms service cut to Catshill from April 24th.
:cry:

AdamH

Re: The End of Worcester to Birmingham 144 !!

Post by AdamH » 19:57 Wednesday 6th April 2022

Just seen that. A sad day for Worcester depot.

ANDREW

Post by ANDREW » 11:54 Thursday 7th April 2022

Another bit of transport history bites the dust. Not really suprised to be honest. It seems that bus routes all over get cut back in frequency so less people use them and so forth. If I have read the history section on this site correctly, the route from Worcester through to Birmingham started in 1914 and was given the 144 route number in 1928. Am I right in saying three buses an hour was the regular frequency ? Not forgetting the 143 that ran "over the Lickeys" at one time in days gone by. I hoped the 144 would continue as far as Rubery to connect with National Express services , which I gather happened in the very early day of the route. I doubt if NE could be pursuaded to extend services to Bromsgrove from Rubery ?

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 12:07 Thursday 7th April 2022

ANDREW wrote:
11:54 Thursday 7th April 2022
Another bit of transport history bites the dust. Not really suprised to be honest. It seems that bus routes all over get cut back in frequency so less people use them and so forth. If I have read the history section on this site correctly, the route from Worcester through to Birmingham started in 1914 and was given the 144 route number in 1928. Am I right in saying three buses an hour was the regular frequency ? Not forgetting the 143 that ran "over the Lickeys" at one time in days gone by. I hoped the 144 would continue as far as Rubery to connect with National Express services , which I gather happened in the very early day of the route. I doubt if NE could be pursuaded to extend services to Bromsgrove from Rubery ?

Yes, back in the 1950s and 1960s the 144 had a 20 minute frequency except on Saturdays when it was every 15 minutes; it also ran through to Malvern Wells in those days as well.
Sad that the Salt Road branding hasn't had the desired effect North of Catshill though.

Adam V

Post by Adam V » 12:44 Thursday 7th April 2022

I catch the 144 quite a lot between Worcester and Longbridge. And I always find the 144 quite well loaded between Bromsgrove and Rubery and sometimes onto Birmingham too. Even though there is a frequent train service to Birmingham now, its not very attractive to a lot of Bromsgrove residents as the station is nowhere near town. Will be interesting to see if another operator plugs the Bromsgrove - Rubery gap or just rely on Diamonds 202 that goes the long way round via Lickey and Leach Green Lane. Also if anyone will fancy a crack at the Bromsgrove - Birmingham section. It would be perfect for a NXWM Platinum route.

Considering the 144 / A serves Catshill. I often wonder if there is a market for maybe a 144B that runs via Charford in Bromsgrove too. I know Diamond serves it every hour with the 52A and Clearway have a 99 Infrequently. Just thought maybe Charford is worth First considering now they aren't running through to Birmingham.

I appreciate commercial and financial elements but I'm still very sad to see the 144 no longer serve Birmingham. A big end of a era.

MattW

Post by MattW » 18:09 Thursday 7th April 2022

Well that sucks.

Sad news :(

AdamH

Re: The End of Worcester to Birmingham 144

Post by AdamH » 19:15 Thursday 7th April 2022

For those who have not explored the wider website, there is more on the history of this route (soon to be edited!), here... http://midlandred.net/service/informati ... e=overview

DD12

Post by DD12 » 20:41 Thursday 7th April 2022

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/20 ... m/?ref=nuo

Possibly further changes on May 1st !

I'm wondering if we might see a MIX of traditional subsidised buses, at low ( - ish) fares,

- and, Demand Responsive minibuses at higher fares, - and needing a smart phone plus cost of contract, plus replacement phone in 5 years time !!

-- therefore less suitable for us pensioners ( -- can I get a smart-phone for my bent, shaky fingers, for £5 per month, with increases limited to CPI inflation only ?? )

Maybe they'll try it out between Bromsgrove and Rubery ??

Adam V

Post by Adam V » 21:34 Thursday 7th April 2022

According to the First Worcester forthcoming timetables section, looks like the 44 Worcester - Malvern loses its Sunday service. Earlier finish weekdays too I think.

bmmoboy

Post by bmmoboy » 22:49 Thursday 7th April 2022

There doesn’t appear to be any 31’s or 37’s. The last bus to Malvern leaves Crowngate at 18.00 and only goes to Morrisons. The last bus to Droitwich and Bromsgrove departs at 18.00. Doesn’t look like I’ll be doing many late finishes now!

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”