Autumn service changes ??

Bus and Coach operations, new or changed services and timetables for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
TimBrown

Re: Autumn service changes ??

Post by TimBrown » 12:36 Tuesday 17th October 2017

DD12 wrote:
23:02 Monday 16th October 2017

I hope that the changes to the 38/X38, and the 44 will work well, and that the customers will get used to them -
perhaps just a loss of buses and convenience at certain times ???
I hope customers in Canterbury Road DO NOT get used to the changes to 38 X38 route and complain vehemently to their City and County Councillors at being forced into walking during peak periods when their buses are being used for one-off school journeys or to cut the fleet strength down and accommodate school services elsewhere. Whilst I understand the need for private operators to make money I think that a certain level of service should be mandatory; if First can't maintain a 15 minute 38 throughout the day there might be a case to make the peak period 38 and X38 an alternate half hourly service to cover BOTH sections of the route. Killing demand in the peak period around Canterbury Drive will drive passengers away and leave them with no alternative but to use cars, taxis or walk to and from town, which is basically what happened when the Tunnel Hill routes 41/43 and successors were tampered with over a number of years.

I wonder what the residents of St Peters Drive would say if all their morning services from the City between 08-01 and 09-36 went direct down the A38 passed the Ketch to final destination and did the same in the opposite direction into the city from 15-37 to 17-56 missing out St Peters Drive completely?

For my own skimpy route 37 morning peak service, why is there a 67 minute gap into the city from Bevere, Green Lane between 07-55 and 09-02; surely better to put a bus in at 08-43 or thereabouts to even things out a bit, if a 30 minute frequency is not possible. Funny how a 30 minute frequency works throughout the Saturday service though!

bmmoboy

Post by bmmoboy » 15:10 Tuesday 17th October 2017

We also used a double decker on the 14.10 550 to Pershore before returning empty to Blessed Edward School for a school run about 6 years ago.

Adam V

Post by Adam V » 16:06 Wednesday 18th October 2017

I had a day out on the new network yesterday. Took a ride out to Malvern and back on the X43, then a 52 out to Evesham and back on a X50. Also did a few city routes in between.

Everything i caught ran on time. Few confused passengers in Gt Malvern with not knowing wether to board for Worcester in Graham Rd or Church St. Couple of passengers on the X43 were a bit shocked when we didn't run via Link retail park!

Some very happy passengers boarded the 52 in Fladbury and Charlton that were going to Evesham and were delighted to have their service back.

As for the 38 / X38 Canterbury Road situation, there are some very upset people who live in the Liverpool Road area who travel to town / work in the afternoon.

Hopefully the bus stand signage in the bus station will be updated soon but i agree, the staff in the yellow hi-vis vests were very helpful and pro-active.

All in all, a nice day out yesterday.

Adam V

Post by Adam V » 16:07 Wednesday 18th October 2017

Oh... and thanks to Adam H for handing me a Village Links timetable hot off the press in the bus station.

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 20:32 Wednesday 18th October 2017

You're welcome! I expect I'll be seeing you on one of those routes soon.

Meanwhile, the 417 has been struggling on Saturdays with the seasonal workers near Bosbury. Astons were always quite busy with them but now they have discovered they can get a group ticket the numbers travelling have gone from around 20-30 to over 60 on the first journey towards Worcester in the morning. So while they have been packed in like sardines the people from Cradley and Leigh Sinton have not been impressed as there hasn't been any room for them.

This Saturday there will be a duplicate vehicle running in front from Cradley to Worcester in the morning, and from Worcester to Bosbury in the afternoon. The same will happen again on the following Saturday if required.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 21:48 Wednesday 18th October 2017

AdamH wrote:
20:32 Wednesday 18th October 2017
You're welcome! I expect I'll be seeing you on one of those routes soon.

Meanwhile, the 417 has been struggling on Saturdays with the seasonal workers near Bosbury. Astons were always quite busy with them but now they have discovered they can get a group ticket the numbers travelling have gone from around 20-30 to over 60 on the first journey towards Worcester in the morning. So while they have been packed in like sardines the people from Cradley and Leigh Sinton have not been impressed as there hasn't been any room for them.

This Saturday there will be a duplicate vehicle running in front from Cradley to Worcester in the morning, and from Worcester to Bosbury in the afternoon. The same will happen again on the following Saturday if required.
That's a very unexpected post, Adam !

- There are spare Grouble-Greckers on Saturdays :) -

I've no doubt there's a tree or two preventing that (or on the next duty) !!

There's an apple-orchard farm nearby that had a Tilling-red (faded) Bristol Lodekka on site for a while, but I don' think it was used to transport workers - more likely it was an overflow bedroom !

- it would have made a classic photo !

willr7

Post by willr7 » 15:34 Thursday 19th October 2017

It’s a shame the off peak 50’s aren’t very busy. In DB Village I only ever see up to 2 or 3 people onboard in either direction on services 52/53. I expect more people board in Pershore or beyond for the 52 to Evesham and more passengers in Pershore on the 53 for Eckington but I still feel there is a lot of low usage. I did a short trip on the 53 from Pershore to DB Shrubbery Rd this afternoon and there were only 2 other passengers (1 was a regular who travels from Eckington to Worcester and the other got on in Pershore and was getting off further along Shrubbery Rd I believe) I think many of the pensioners are still confused over the new routes and which way round the bus goes through DB Village... I’ve also noticed that the first and last journeys on the 51 go down Stonebow Road first but the other 51’s go down Walcott Ln/Shrubbery Rd then up Stonebow like the 551 did (why do those 2 journeys do this?) Also the last 51 runs 2 mins in front of the last 53 between Pershore & DB until the 53 turns off for Wadborough... This means the 53 is allways running empty as everyone in Pershore either gets on the 51 or was already on the bus from Evesham as it arrives in Pershore before the 53...Ecxept Monday where there was 1 passenger on the 53. On Tuesday the driver actually had the saloon lights turned off :lol: Although I suppose it makes sense running it on the off chance that someone in DB, Wadborough, Littleworth or Norton will use it to get into Worcester for 7:15 (maybe more passengers on a Friday night :lol: ) better than running back to Worcester out of service I suppose...

MattW

Post by MattW » 18:17 Friday 17th November 2017

I saw 33401 in use on the 30 service around midday today - I thought this had gone over to Solos with increased frequency?

DD12

Post by DD12 » 18:57 Friday 17th November 2017

MattW wrote:
18:17 Friday 17th November 2017
I saw 33401 in use on the 30 service around midday today - I thought this had gone over to Solos with increased frequency?
I believe that was what "they" did to the 30 previously, Matt, and that they have put it back to how it was.
As you have been "absent", you may not yet have seen the "Bus Graph" posted by Adam, somewhere in this section (for Mon-Fri, school term) -

- it shows two DDs are programmed to be on the 30, between schools duties, and I've seen two on Saturdays as well.

MattW

Post by MattW » 19:11 Friday 17th November 2017

Thanks mate.
Yeah i need to keep up - unfortunately I've had some personal issues that have taken precedence.
Going to Cornwall for a weeks RnR tomorrow so i'll try to catch up with some of the ex-Worcester 'Jersey' Darts.

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”