First Group to be split and sold off.

Vehicle and Fleet discussions for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
AdamH

Re: First Group to be split and sold off.

Post by AdamH » 16:28 Wednesday 10th July 2019

TimBrown wrote:
11:06 Wednesday 10th July 2019
As to the future of Padmore Street, it has been subject to rumours of closure for more years than seems possible now (I was a young man when they first came to light and am a white haired 74 year old geezer now!), perhaps these can still be taken with a pinch of salt - hopefully. That said, with a change of use and some serious ground decontamination work it would be an ideal site for extensive canal side residential apartments and a few more business properties along Pheasant Street. All in the melting pot indeed!
It was this post from almost a year ago that got me thinking that First may simply close the doors on Padmore Street and walk away... Link.

Brendan

Post by Brendan » 00:01 Thursday 11th July 2019

The redevelopment of the Padmore Street area was proposed as Phase 2 to the original planning application for the Shrub Hill retail park. The old Do-It-All and Beehive were demolished and the road realigned over the canal to remove the awkward bridge and corner round the car park/burial ground. The demolition of the bus depot for housing/further retail units was cancelled. I believe there should be another retail unit where the bus wash is too.

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 18:41 Thursday 18th July 2019

I believe First Bristol have, from September, given up two of their routes to Stagecoach West. Let's hope First Worcester follow their example!

Julie

Post by Julie » 00:08 Friday 19th July 2019

Stagecoach do appear to be pushing out their traditional boundaries recently. They have just taken the Bridlington "park & Ride" from EYMS and similar work in Preston from Rotala and, from Transdev, the Preston - Skipton 280.

Is "living in interesting times" a blessing or a curse?

winston

Post by winston » 22:55 Saturday 20th July 2019

AdamH wrote:
16:28 Wednesday 10th July 2019
It was this post from almost a year ago that got me thinking that First may simply close the doors on Padmore Street and walk away... Link.
Am I correct in saying that First only own the Padmore St depot land, whilst the bus park land is leased ?

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 20:43 Sunday 21st July 2019

All owned by First. The land that is now the bus park was acquired in the 1960s by BMMO to build a new depot to replace both Padmore Street and East Street sites, but there were problems with planning due to a proposed road expansion. By the time that was sorted bus usage was on the decline and the plan never went ahead.

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 08:23 Monday 22nd July 2019

AdamH wrote:
18:41 Thursday 18th July 2019
I believe First Bristol have, from September, given up two of their routes to Stagecoach West. Let's hope First Worcester follow their example!
The routes taken over by Stagecoach West (“Cheltenham and Gloucester Omnibus”) are the X5 and Severns Express. I don’t know much about the X5, but the Severns Express runs into Chepstow and on to Newport using new double-decks. Stagecoach will be using older vehicles but I’m told they will be gold. Hopefully it will link up with the Chepstow to Lydney Service run by Gloucester depot, which is being extended to Gloucester as part of the Forest Review changes on 1st September.

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 08:48 Monday 22nd July 2019

AdamH wrote:
20:43 Sunday 21st July 2019
All owned by First. The land that is now the bus park was acquired in the 1960s by BMMO to build a new depot to replace both Padmore Street and East Street sites, but there were problems with planning due to a proposed road expansion. By the time that was sorted bus usage was on the decline and the plan never went ahead.
Years ago I was told that the Midland Red properties were owned by a separate Midland Red organisation, which begs a question. Was the property company included in the negotiations as well as the operating division when the concern was nationalised back in January 1969? If it wasn't, is the whole site still leased to that long standing property management organisation, and does it still come under control of the old BET (British Electric Traction) Company? Probably not, but can anyone advise if all the garages were/are fully owned by First Bus Group.

ex MRW

Post by ex MRW » 09:34 Monday 22nd July 2019

The garages were sold by NBC to Midland Red (West) Ltd upon privatisation. Hence the reason why Evesham, Kidderminster, Redditch and Hereford have all been closed and sold by FirstGroup to raise cash for other parts of the the group!
Unlike many other NBC sell-offs, Ken Mills kept the garages owned by the Company and not hived off into a separate entity.

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 09:34 Monday 22nd July 2019

Hereford depot was owned by FirstGroup properties, which managed all property assets for the group. The day it closed they sent in a contractor to fit an alarm system!

I can’t see why Worcester or any other depot would be any different.

Return to “Fleet Discussion”