FMR: Refurbs and Repaints

Vehicle and Fleet discussions for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
Fuzzynutter

Re: FMR: Refurbs and Repaints

Post by Fuzzynutter » 21:12 Saturday 26th August 2017

Hi. I'm new to MidlandRed.net so apologies for gatecrashing this forum. I'm thinking aloud here but what would the general view be if the "Worcester" branding was replaced by "Midland Red" or"Midland Red West"? Midland Red still has a strong history and recognition in Worcestershire while some people still refer to FMR as just Midland Red, I know I do! Although it's in in heritage livery, the red Enviro 300 has Midland Red on it and FMR seem quite happy to keep it like that. Or what about going one step further and adopt this Enviro's livery and branding for the entire FMR fleet? After all, a precedent has been set with First's Buses of Somerset and Buses of Taunton which have their own liveries. As I said, just thinking aloud.

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 10:03 Sunday 27th August 2017

I think everyone on this forum would like to see more "Midland Red" and less "First", but then everyone on this forum is an enthusiast and we are mostly living in the past. Some more than others!

For day to day operations First have to stick with the times and need to show themselves to be a modern, forward thinking company if they are to survive and grow. That is not necessarily what we as enthusiasts want, but it's what the bus using public expect and they are the one buying the tickets and keeping the company afloat.

The two heritage buses are a great nod to the past and keep things interesting. If it were 100% standard First corporate image it would just be too bland and dull.

MattW

Post by MattW » 13:47 Sunday 27th August 2017

I'm not against moving with the times, its just the corporate colour palette is so uninspiring. Pale insipid blues and purples that wouldnt look out of place in a bargain bin retailer or shonky kids fairground ride.
Even First itself has some good colour schemes ( the dark blue and gold Cymru Clipper is one of my favourites), but their general corporate scheme has no brand identity, shows the dirt and does not, in my opinion, show the vehicles off to their best effect.
Sorry rant over :lol:

Fuzzynutter

Post by Fuzzynutter » 14:08 Monday 28th August 2017

Thanks for the reply guys. I fully understand keeping the corporate livery to a degree as when buses move between different First operations all they need to do is change the branding rather than go to the whole expense and time of a full repaint. And it also retains corporate identity, although the NBC managed that despite 3 or 4 colour variations and some details changes too. But even if Midland Red replaced the Worcester branding, I'm sure many people would know it's still a First company through the livery and logo which will maintain the, understandably, forward thinking image they wish to provide. Although some of First's other operation maintain names from their NBC days while Stagecoach do too. It'd be great though even if just one of the buses had Worcester replaced with Midland Red or Midland Red West :-) Or how about just Severnlink.....

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 11:48 Friday 1st September 2017

The "South Wales / DeCymru" brand names have been removed from 53802 this morning and replaced by "Worcester" in the skyline style.

Peter

Post by Peter » 12:06 Friday 1st September 2017

AdamH wrote:
11:48 Friday 1st September 2017
The "South Wales / DeCymru" brand names have been removed from 53802 this morning and replaced by "Worcester" in the skyline style.
Did I see that 42893 has had Skyline style logos removed, from your latest picture?

http://www.midlandred.net/vehicles/phot ... 93&image=7

Is this so adverts can be fitted?

I also see it's gained an ADL badge to match VX05JWW!

Have 42892/4 seen as much use as 42893 since arriving at Worcester?

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 18:00 Friday 1st September 2017

The badge was fitted before being taken to Buses Festival. The other two are used just as much but 42893 gets all the attention because it's the only one painted in the new livery.

Peter

Post by Peter » 18:02 Friday 1st September 2017

AdamH wrote:
18:00 Friday 1st September 2017
The badge was fitted before being taken to Buses Festival. The other two are used just as much but 42893 gets all the attention because it's the only one painted in the new livery.
I thought as much haha :D Really nice batch of buses though all 3/6 of them!

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 18:06 Friday 1st September 2017

They were superb buses when new. I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I hated Darts when we first started getting them, but this batch changed my mind. They are not as good as they once were, but then that is to be expected with their age.

Peter

Post by Peter » 18:25 Friday 1st September 2017

AdamH wrote:
18:06 Friday 1st September 2017
They were superb buses when new. I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I hated Darts when we first started getting them, but this batch changed my mind. They are not as good as they once were, but then that is to be expected with their age.
Is there a better member of the batch?

Return to “Fleet Discussion”