FMR Fleet Movements

Vehicle and Fleet discussions for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
AdamH

Re: FMR Fleet Movements

Post by AdamH » 09:17 Wednesday 6th September 2017

x68 wrote:
20:53 Tuesday 5th September 2017
All the route branded buses I saw today none were on service they were branded for. I know changes are made for breakdowns and late running but it does make me wonder how effective route branding is.
There is no interest in route branding at all at Worcester. It worked for a while when an enthusiast was allocating vehicles in the morning, but then he got a promotion and the whole thing went south.

I was given a 44 branded StreetLite Max on a group of Service 38 journeys earlier in the week. Yes, I had people asking for Powick and County Hall, so yes it does confuse the passengers. As I went past the Malvern or London Road stand in Crowngate to get to the stand for the 38 they would wave then walk down to it.

willr7

Post by willr7 » 22:00 Wednesday 6th September 2017

I was thinking, if first needed another solo with belts for the new Herefordshire contracts (possibly for use only as a spare) Astons operate CN07 KZS which is a solo (with belts) that occasionaly appeared on the 405/417/675 so Astons may consider getting rid of it as they won't be needing as many service buses and also it's the second oldest public bus they own with MX05 EKU being the oldest which is also a solo that has spent many years on the 417. Surely it would make sense for them to sell the oldest ones and keep the newest for the routes they still operate in Worcestershire...

DD12

Post by DD12 » 14:15 Thursday 7th September 2017

willr7 wrote:
22:00 Wednesday 6th September 2017
I was thinking, if first needed another solo with belts for the new Herefordshire contracts (possibly for use only as a spare) Astons operate CN07 KZS which is a solo (with belts) that occasionaly appeared on the 405/417/675 so Astons may consider getting rid of it as they won't be needing as many service buses and also it's the second oldest public bus they own with MX05 EKU being the oldest which is also a solo that has spent many years on the 417. Surely it would make sense for them to sell the oldest ones and keep the newest for the routes they still operate in Worcestershire...
.... It has just been approved for the Astons depot site to be redeveloped for housing, so Astons will be looking to having a "clear-out", but they might not be willing to sell vehicles directly to First -
Does anyone know how they feel about losing their Herefordshire contracts to First ??
(Also, now might be the moment for First to see if they can get "certain work"
from Astons, or do a deal with them ?)

... As for a second small (narrow) bus with seat-belts, could FMR/WR re-acquire one of the ex-Jersey Darts, and re-fit it ?
(I believe I have read somewhere that First Kernow are releasing some of them - - to Glasgow ??)

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 17:45 Thursday 7th September 2017

Those Jersey Darts would be great on the new contracts.

We have started using a 6669x series Volvo on one of the contract running boards. This will work the 674 which is carrying about 35 kids and then several 417s. The reason is the Darts have a poor turning circle and can't get round Finchers Corner, yet the longer Volvo can!

ANDREW

Post by ANDREW » 11:06 Friday 8th September 2017

69453 on a 144 to Worcester in Bromsgrove around 19.30 yesterday evening. :P

DD12

Post by DD12 » 15:13 Friday 8th September 2017

AdamH wrote:
08:11 Saturday 19th August 2017

Anyway, back to the here and now... With the arrival of the 59-reg Volvos for use on 144, that route will be converted back to single-deck only. A huge disappointment for some I know, but bear with me on this as there is method in their madness. You'll just have to wait and see what it is!

SO ! - Does the "method in their madness" mean it's just going to be single-deckers, because of not enough passengers for DDs, and because they will be better able to keep-up with the timetable and use less fuel, - - and, along with possible re-branding, is it considered that the single-deckers will attract more passengers ?? :D -

OR "is there more to it than that" ?

Currently I believe the 144 and 144A are interworked - - will they become worked separately ?

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 15:28 Friday 8th September 2017

I have no idea. I only work here! :lol:

The answer may simply be that converting to one vehicle type is the easiest/cheapest way to meet the Birmingham emmisions regulations.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 16:24 Friday 8th September 2017

Thanks anyway, Adam.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 22:21 Saturday 9th September 2017

I see in the current fleet list that 67653 is now listed as in store !

Can anyone ( - like Adam :lol: ) - tell me WHY (?) - - when according to my reckoning, WR is SHORT of buses ? :ugeek:

DD12

Post by DD12 » 22:44 Saturday 9th September 2017

AdamH wrote:
17:45 Thursday 7th September 2017
Those Jersey Darts would be great on the new contracts.

We have started using a 6669x series Volvo on one of the contract running boards. This will work the 674 which is carrying about 35 kids and then several 417s. The reason is the Darts have a poor turning circle and can't get round Finchers Corner, yet the longer Volvo can!
That's fascinating ! -

Some time ago, I read a "post" by an enthusiast, that suggested he thought that these (6669x) Plaxton Centro bodied Volvos are SHORTER than their Wright bodied equivalents - does anyone know if that's correct ? -

IF it is NOT correct, then that should imply that the Wright bodied B7RLEs coming from Leicester could also be used !! (?) :?

Return to “Fleet Discussion”