FMR Fleet Movements

Vehicle and Fleet discussions for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
DD12

Re: FMR Fleet Movements

Post by DD12 » 22:03 Thursday 17th August 2017

AdamH wrote:
18:01 Thursday 17th August 2017
There isn't a paint shop at Worcester, Thorntons are doing inside and out. They are also converting them to Euro6, although some of that may be done in-house at Worcester.
Thanks Adam !

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 20:51 Friday 18th August 2017

Due to the new Herefordshire contracts, a couple of fleet changes are expected...

Enviro300 67652 has been removed from the list of vehicles due to be cascaded to Stoke and will stay at Worcester for the 417 route.
Dart 43893 will (in theory) be allocated to the 675 route.
Solo 53802 will move to Worcester. This is currently in Urban1 livery but has been pencilled in for a repaint to Urban2 during October (half term holiday is my guess).

First wish to make a good impression so all three will receive a deep clean inside and out and general tidy up before the contract start.

willr7

Post by willr7 » 21:22 Friday 18th August 2017

That solves the issue involving seat belts as 53802 is fitted with belts which is presumably why they want it! Also I find its a bit odd using fairly large vehicles (Enviro's & Darts) on routes such as the 417 & 675 that negotiate small villages ad narrow lanes! Although I only say this as Astons normally use smaller buses on those routes.

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 21:59 Friday 18th August 2017

When I first started at Worcester we operated the 417 with a mix of Leyland Nationals and Mercedes L608D minibuses, and sometimes a Leyland Leopard coach! It later standardised to the Dennis Lance and then finally the Optare Solo. The variety can been seen in the Photo Library Here.

There are two reasons an Enviro300 will be used this time around. Firstly is a general lack of Solos at Worcester depot. They simply don't have any to spare. Secondly, I have a copy of the running boards and the Enviro is used to operate a Service 674 from Bromyard to Ledbury first thing in the morning, and this requires a large bus because of the number of school children carried. Once the bus is in Ledbury it would be pointless sending it back to Worcester empty just to send a Solo out in it's place, so it runs the 417 back. Then the same in reverse in the afternoon, finishing in Bromyard after the return 674.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 22:03 Friday 18th August 2017

willr7 wrote:
21:22 Friday 18th August 2017
That solves the issue involving seat belts as 53802 is fitted with belts which is presumably why they want it! Also I find its a bit odd using fairly large vehicles (Enviro's & Darts) on routes such as the 417 & 675 that negotiate small villages ad narrow lanes! Although I only say this as Astons normally use smaller buses on those routes.
I agree, and I'm glad that 53802 is a "Slimline" version of the Solo !
- I think that FMR might have to acquire some more smaller buses; - BUT, in Cornwall, they use "full-size" vehicles on the narrow lanes, and the drivers seem to "proceed with caution", while other drivers can often see them coming, and pull-over / give-way to the buses - (I think - ??).

It seems that the 675 goes along the West Malvern Road - which is a "nightmare", even for car drivers, and is long overdue for sections of double-yellow lines, - so out of devilment, I might take a ride to the Brewers Arms, West Malvern, or the Chase Inn, Upper Colwall , - when First takeover ! :D

willr7

Post by willr7 » 22:24 Friday 18th August 2017

Ah, that would be a logical move. Thanks for pointing that out Adam! :)

willr7

Post by willr7 » 22:29 Friday 18th August 2017

DD12 wrote:
22:03 Friday 18th August 2017

I agree, and I'm glad that 53802 is a "Slimline" version of the Solo !
- I think that FMR might have to acquire some more smaller buses; - BUT, in Cornwall, they use "full-size" vehicles on the narrow lanes, and the drivers seem to "proceed with caution", while other drivers can often see them coming, and pull-over / give-way to the buses - (I think - ??).

It seems that the 675 goes along the West Malvern Road - which is a "nightmare", even for car drivers, and is long overdue for sections of double-yellow lines, - so out of devilment, I might take a ride to the Brewers Arms, West Malvern, or the Chase Inn, Upper Colwall , - when First takeover ! :D
Good job it's a slimline Solo then! :lol:

DD12

Post by DD12 » 22:43 Friday 18th August 2017

AdamH wrote:
21:59 Friday 18th August 2017
When I first started at Worcester we operated the 417 with a mix of Leyland Nationals and Mercedes L608D minibuses, and sometimes a Leyland Leopard coach! It later standardised to the Dennis Lance and then finally the Optare Solo. The variety can been seen in the Photo Library Here.

There are two reasons an Enviro300 will be used this time around. Firstly is a general lack of Solos at Worcester depot. They simply don't have any to spare. Secondly, I have a copy of the running boards and the Enviro is used to operate a Service 674 from Bromyard to Ledbury first thing in the morning, and this requires a large bus because of the number of school children carried. Once the bus is in Ledbury it would be pointless sending it back to Worcester empty just to send a Solo out in it's place, so it runs the 417 back. Then the same in reverse in the afternoon, finishing in Bromyard after the return 674.
You put this post on Adam, while I was responding to willr7 - - it is one of my favourite things when a "large" vehicle for schools becomes a double-decker that the general public can travel on afterwards or before !!

I notice from your list of October service changes, that some of the 332s will become 333s, and the 363s will by-pass Twyning, and therefore some Hanley Castle school double-deckers COULD appear on public services in the area, eventually !

willr7

Post by willr7 » 23:03 Friday 18th August 2017

You have raised a good point there. I too like it when operators use school buses on normal services as well as schools as it gets them out and about more (not just 2 journeys a day) My guess is that they have realised that the DD's could be used during the day instead of just sitting around back at the depot awaiting to run school journeys.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 23:24 Friday 18th August 2017

I also meant to say that the forthcoming changes to the 332/333/363 (and X50), and from the recent changes to the 44 that allow double-deckers to travel up and down Avenue Road, - this will give a lot more opportunities to utilise Worcester's double-deckers (when sensible) !

Return to “Fleet Discussion”