Visiting Buses at Worcester

Vehicle and Fleet discussions for First Midland Red Buses Limited or its predecessor, Midland Red West Limited.
TimBrown

Re: Visiting Buses at Worcester

Post by TimBrown » 15:28 Sunday 12th March 2017

DD12 wrote:
12:57 Sunday 12th March 2017

In the back of my mind was the memory of Leyland DAF, and the possibility that some engines were built under-licence as "DAFs". - ( - TIM ? :D )

Some of our older forum members will remember that Midland Red were "always" experimenting and fitting non-standard engines and gearboxes etc (as recorded on this website).
I managed to drive ex - West Midland Leyland Nationals retro-fitted with DAF engines when working for Metrowest. I believe these were based on Leyland O.600 or O.680 engines; either way they made a lot of nice noises but didn't perform as well on Black Country hills as the 510 engined versions. I wonder why West Midland specified 4 speed direct top gearboxes when all other Nationals seemed to have 5 speed direct top gearboxes? (at least Bristol Tramways, Eastern National, Midland Red, London Transport, Northern General, Ribble and Western National examples that I drove did). Incidentally, was the TL11 engine developed further by DAF?

I wonder if DD12 managed to travel on DD11 5261 when it had a D9 engine fitted? I never managed to, but heard it accelerating on a number of occasions and it was rather strange hearing a Fleetline pull away with a deep booming note and hitting the governors (cha-cha-cha) before each gearchange. It actually sounded like a rear engined D9, whereas the underfloor engined D10 sounds more like an S17 single-decker.

DD12

Post by DD12 » 18:28 Sunday 12th March 2017

Thanks Tim for that interesting reply !

I'm "thrilled" that you've mentioned 5261 because that was almost certainly the first DD11 that I saw and heard -
on the 144, in Barbourne, going towards the city centre.

I was on my way home from school, on one of those "heady" childhood days of early summer - breathing in the smells from the fruit and veg shop, as well as the petrol and diesel fumes !

The differences in it's appearance compared to the "ultra-modern" DD12, made it look like an antique to me (then), and I now wish they had all made that "growling" sound , - someone might have preserved one if that had been the case ! ;)

DD12

Post by DD12 » 18:52 Sunday 12th March 2017

MattW wrote:
15:17 Sunday 12th March 2017
DD12 wrote:
12:57 Sunday 12th March 2017

They're always a good fit in a VW 'bus', but maybe not in a full-size one :lol:
As time goes racing by, some changes can be a bit confusing for older people -

for example one can now go into W.H.Smith to look at BUS magazines, and get confronted by the VW bus magazine, - which isn't about buses at all ....

and the last time I was on holiday down in the South-West, approaching the Newquay area, my passenger took umbrage (on my behalf) due to an offensive "sticker" on the back of a car that was deriding bus enthusiasts -

.... until, that is, I pointed out that the message was aimed at VW bus enthusiasts !! :)

Mechwr26

Post by Mechwr26 » 02:19 Tuesday 14th March 2017

Some smaller DAF and Dennis trucks use the Cummins euro 3 isb engine which is also fitted to the E300. Lovely simple and reliable engines which I really enjoy rebuilding.
Almost all major truck manufacturers build their own engines nowadays , DAF, Volvo, Scania, Mercedes etc. Renault and Volvo share engines but most build there own.

Matt W, my own old aircooled VW bus now has a 1.9 turbo diesel engine and gearbox from a Passat 😃

MattW

Post by MattW » 17:37 Tuesday 14th March 2017

Nice one mate. Thats the kind of job a proper mechanic can do.

Trip to Leicester today made me realise how much I like the old Wright bodies, I don't think I saw anything else there in First colours.

bmmoboy

Post by bmmoboy » 16:52 Tuesday 15th August 2017

Seen today after leaving work at 14.30 travelling along Blackpole Road in Worcester, and heading for the City Centre, was 31786 YN53EOL, on suspended tow. The tow truck driver will have had considerable difficulty in reaching Padmore Street from there as there are numerous low bridges in the area, and as it was suspended, will probably not fit under Rainbow Hill bridge either. I can only presume that it was heading for Worcester depot, but if it is, I doubt that it is for service.

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 18:14 Tuesday 15th August 2017

First of 3 expected from Yorkshire for engineering work maybe?

DD12

Post by DD12 » 19:15 Tuesday 15th August 2017

Perhaps "our" Mechwr26 is going to take the engines out, and put them into B7RLEs (again) ?
However I would expect the engineering department to be very busy with MOT preparation work, currently (?)

(I wouldn't want to see too many extra DDs "on the patch", as it could make me unduly excited) :D

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 20:48 Tuesday 15th August 2017

Talking to Mechwr26 tonight and it sounds like Yorkshire are in deep **** with their engineering department. At one point last week they missed their PVR by 20+ vehicles due to maintenance problems, and the situation has got so bad vehicles are being dispatched to depots far and wide for repair work. As I mentioned above, the one that arrived today is the first of three that are heading to Worcester.
Attachments
IMG_6248.JPG

AdamH

Post by AdamH » 19:27 Wednesday 16th August 2017

66849 returned to Stoke today.

Return to “Fleet Discussion”