Padmore Street redevelopment approved!

Bus and Coach operations, and timetables for The Birmingham and Midland Motor Omnibus Company Limited (BMMO — Midland "Red" Motor Services).
TimBrown

Padmore Street redevelopment approved!

Post by TimBrown » 11:48 Monday 14th June 2021

It looks as if Worcester Padmore Street garage will be demolished in the very near future according to the attached headlining article in Berrow's Worcester Journal dated Thursday 10 June 2021, to make way for 350 new homes and 2000 square metres of commercial space.

I put the black ink highlighting either side the crucial paragraph, but wonder about the timescale of such a redevelopment and also that the £20 million of Government funding does not go very far when considering the scale of envisaged project without masses of investment from private property and equity companies. I guess it is one of those 'keep watching this space' situations'?
Padmore Street redevelopment. 001.jpg

DD12

Re: Padmore Street redevelopment approved!

Post by DD12 » 14:51 Monday 14th June 2021

I've googled "planning application new worcester bus depot", but there's no news yet !!

I would guess it will take at least 6 months to build and equip (?)

ANDREW

Post by ANDREW » 18:08 Monday 14th June 2021

DD12 wrote:
14:51 Monday 14th June 2021
I would guess it will take at least 6 months to build and equip (?)
If we are to believe the newspapers , t.v., etc, the UK has a shortage of building materials and the skilled workers to use them . . . . . . . :oops: I will double that to 12 months. :D

bmmoboy

Post by bmmoboy » 22:20 Monday 14th June 2021

I wouldn't hold my breath on this - in 2012, grand plans were announced for the Sheriff Street area for massive redevelopment, with retail and leisure facilities. Also include was a plan to eradicated the bottleneck at the bottom of Newtown Road, under the railway. As yet, not a sod has been cut or brick laid, and these plans are now 9 years old!

TimBrown

Post by TimBrown » 09:35 Tuesday 15th June 2021

I found this 7 year old article on the internet giving some of the reasons why the Sherriff Street development plan stalled;

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/11 ... er-revamp/

I couldn't find any mention of Government funding for the Sherriff Street project, whereas the area around Padmore Street looks to have the lion's share of £20 million courtesy of HM Govt. which probably means the initial groundworks will start quite soon. Canal-side residential developments are looked at as desirable properties which puts this proposal into a different category compared with Sherriff Street.

I don't want the historic Padmore Street bus garage to be demolished but I feel that the 'cat has just run out of its ninth life'. Interested to hear where the proposed new depot will be situated, Blackpole/Warndon area has been hinted at and will inevitably lead to an increase in dead mileage and probably require a small minibus to ferry drivers too and from duty at start of middle shifts and finish of early turns. Rather a long walk from Blackpole Trading Estate into Crowngate bus station and management won't want to pay an hour each way in travelling time and it is never a good thing to rely on a service bus to get you into work on time! I suppose there is the other option of doing some of the changeovers outside the garage in the Warndon area. It will take a fair bit of planning though.

ANDREW

Post by ANDREW » 09:56 Tuesday 29th June 2021

Any "new" news on Padmore Street ???

ANDREW

Post by ANDREW » 09:59 Tuesday 29th June 2021

ANDREW wrote:
09:56 Tuesday 29th June 2021
Any "new" news on Padmore Street ???
Ignore . . . . . just seen the thread under MRW . . . . . :oops:

Return to “Services, Routes and Timetables”