Midland “Red” Depots and Garages in Tamworth
Tamworth (Aldergate) depot
- Four-bay, steel-framed, red brick garage with an initial capacity for 38 vehicles, purpose built by BMMO.
- Opened by Birmingham and Midland Motor Omnibus Company Limited (BMMO—Midland “Red” Motor Services) on Friday 3rd August 1928, taking over operations of Tamworth (Two Gates) depot which is closed at this time.
- Extension opened February 1957.
- Company renamed to Midland Red Omnibus Company Limited (MROC) on Friday 29th March 1974, with a depot allocation of 58 vehicles and approximately 156 staff at this time.
- Control of Tamworth depot passed to the newly formed Midland Red (North) Limited on Sunday 6th September 1981, with an allocation of approx 48 vehicles, when Midland Red Omnibus Company Limited ceased trading as a bus and coach operator.
- Midland Red (North) Limited is privatised and sold to Drawlane Transport Group Limited on Wednesday 27th January 1988. Drawlane Transport Group was later acquired by British Bus Group Limited.
- British Bus Group Limited acquired by the Cowie Group PLC on Thursday 1st August 1996.
- Cowie Group PLC renamed to Arriva PLC on Thursday 6th November 1997, with the Midland Red North operations becoming Arriva Midlands North Limited soon after.